In the UK, Jo & Jake have run many projects for disadvantaged communities over the last 25 years.
These have included:
- Running workshops for homeless & ex-homeless people at Crisis Skylight under the umbrella of Cirque du Monde, the charitable wing of Cirque du Soleil.
- Running a course for Cardboard Citizens funded by Enterprising Solutions, to train ex-homeless people to be self-employed performers.
- Directing & managing a show entitled “A Brief Demonstration of the Mechanics of Global Capital, Refugee Movements & Personal Resposibility in the Modern World”, which toured festivals around the UK. Participants were Cardboard Citizens actors who had experienced homelessness.
- Twice creating a circus-based show with 3 & 4-year-olds at the Ethelred Nursery in Vauxhall. This is a deprived neighbourhood with a high proportion of children with special needs. It was funded by Creative Partnerships.
- JustPlay running a circus skills workshop three times, for the Hackney Learning Trust – Gypsy Roma Traveler History Week: